First time making muffins. The process proved to be quite simple, much simpler than making a cookie I’d say. I bought a large box of blueberries for $3 from Chinatown and realized I could not finish them fast enough. Blueberries spoil extremely quickly. I used a recipe I found online called, “To Die For Blueberry Muffins” … I can’t really imagine dying over any kind of pastry (maybe Pearl’s lobster roll or Robataya’s miso cod…) but I gave it a shot anyway.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (substituted for whole wheat flour – to the boyfriend’s disdain)
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Topping: (actually ended up halving this portion of the recipe)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
- To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.