Lacking scallions and enough garlic to make my usual honey soy glazed chicken thighs, I needed another recipe for the thighs and drumsticks I had in the fridge. Using my Google skillz, I found a recipe from The Kitchn that involved ingredients my very bare kitchen has (it’s the end of two weeks again where the roomies and I bike to Chinatown for our groceries).
Ingredients (slightly modified from posted recipe):
- 3 chicken thighs
- 3 drumsticks
- 3 tablespoons of miso paste (darker is better for this)
- 2-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 4 to 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
I only had white miso paste, leftover from the miso black cod I tried to make imitating Robataya, so had to settle with this. White miso is the lightest, most delicate of misos. Better for light dressings or seafood. I think this chicken recipe would do better with a yellow or red miso, one that has been fermented for longer and has a heartier flavor.