I’m the luckiest girl alive. Lunar New Year is possibly my favorite holiday of the year and GODIVA SENT ME CHOCOLATES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Godiva has honored my favorite holiday with a limited edition Year of the Goat gift box. I was lucky enough to receive the Mid-Autumn Festival “mooncakes” from Godiva last year, which were deeeelicious. I was very much looking forward to another collection of Belgian chocolates with Asian flavors. This is one type of fusion I can stand by.
Ignore the severed head… the milk chocolate has a center of smooth milk chocolate ganache flavored with gui flower and ginseng. The silky smooth ganache dominates the flavors while the flower and ginseng provide a subtle aftertaste.
The white chocolate is filled with a smooth ganache of sweet chrysanthemum and sharp ginger. I don’t normally love white chocolate (no cocoa!) but Godiva does a great job creating a silky smooth creamy texture. The sharp ginger helps cut through the sweetness of the chocolate. Chrysanthemum leaves you with a slightly bitter aftertaste. A subtle adult candy.
The dark chocolate is also filled with a ganache but flavored with jasmine and angelica root. My silly friends A.H. and N.T. took both away from me so I actually have no idea how it tastes. Quotes from them:
- A.H.: “I like it. I can taste the jasmine. It’s like a hint of floral.”
- N.T.: “It’s really rich. Hint of orange. Very smooth. Leaves a really nice after taste. Perfect balance of rich, dark, and sweet.”
- I.H.: “The Cinnamon Blush is subtle, warm, and inviting.”
- E.H.: “I don’t know what flavors I’m eating but they’re all very good.”
- B.H.: “The White Ganache Bliss tastes like Haagen Dazs vanilla or vanilla bean… it’s very rich.”
- B.H. on The Cherry Cordial:”I like the richness of the dark chocolate against the sweet cherry juice but the cherry is so sweet… like artificial maraschino cherry juice inside, which I like, but isn’t for the faint of sweet-heart ;)”
Gotta love having my friends food-write!! And happy Lunar New Year everyone! Hope all of you food readers eat a ton on Wednesday night (New Years Eve). Make sure to have something sweet too! – like a goat chocolate, as in a chocolate shaped like a goat, not a goat-flavored chocolate.